Friday, December 3, 2010

I'm surprised I don't miss this food anymore...

Cheese! 

Can you believe it?!  I actually don't miss cheese in my diet!  Before I chose to live vegan, I used to eat it EVERYDAY!  Bought gigantic, warehouse-sized bags of it every week!  I grew up on the stuff!  And now I never even think about it...  

I miss cheese so little that I hardly even buy the dairy-free alternatives like Follow Your Heart or Daiya, which I used to rely on more heavily as a "younger" vegan.  These brands are a taste treat, don't get me wrong, (sure makes a decadent lasagna!) only I don't need to consume them on any regular basis.  And no one is more amazed by this than I...

While talking to my Jordan the other day about this very subject, he confided that he feels the same--he doesn't pine for cheese either.  We both just shrugged our shoulders and laughed at how far we've come.  It is a liberating feeling to finally be "weaned" (pun intended)  :)  from such a fatty, artificial, and cruel product.  Mostly, I just feel grateful. 

Many people think they cannot live without cheese.  They're wrong.  It's an addiction that CAN be broken. 
I'm proof of that.

10 comments:

crunchyveganwifelife said...

Remember when I used to ache for cheese? I don't think I could even look at it now....It is funny how ou tastes evolve!

blessedmama said...

We constantly surprise ourselves by what we've outgrown and used to crave. Congrats, Valerie!

Vegan Valerie said...

Thanks, Brandi!

Yes, I DO remember when you wanted cheese all the time! Only earlier this year. (Have that many months passed by already?!) You've come a long way yourself!! :)

Vegan Valerie said...

Thank you BlessedMama!

I guess we're always evolving, huh! But hopefully we're going in the right direction! :)

Michal said...

You said it Valerie! I love Daiya, its delicious and i love how it does melt the way cheese does. Now if only we could get everyone in the world to have an open mind and try it out. Most people run when they hear the phrase "vegan cheese"

If I dont talk to you have the merriest christmas

vko said...

It's so true- I used to LOVE cheese- it's been 5years and I haven't looked back! But that being said, Daiya does not suck one bit either...Happy New Year!

crunchyveganwifelife said...

When are you going to post again Val, we miss you~

dirtyduck said...

um how did i miss this post??? good for you both. i like htis line the best

"......."weaned" (pun intended) :) from such a fatty, artificial, and cruel product. "
you ae so right!

i never really think about cheese anymore, any addiction can be stopped, its hard at first but very possible. you are so right.

hahahi love what vko wrote:) very cute

Vegan Valerie said...

Michal, VKO, and Dirty Duck! Sorry it's taken me so many weeks to thank you for your comments!

And Viv, I will post again--Stay tuned!

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

I use vegan cheese slices from Whole Foods when I make sandwiches or vegan quesadillas. And I still like vegan cheese on vegan pizza too :-)