Monday, January 4, 2010

Veggie Burritos



There are no beans in this burrito--vegetables only!  This fine meal was inspired by Minh Nguyen, from her 30 minute recipe DVD "Going Raw! with Ronnie and Minh".  I'd never considered placing my typical veggie sandwich ingredients on anything other than bread, and maybe into the occasional pita pocket.  But wrapping it up in a leaf of collard greens?  I didn't know raw food could taste this good or look so beautiful!  It wasn't even difficult to do!  Minh makes a special pate to spread on the leaf, but I simply used Follow Your Heart's Vegenaise and mustard.  It's not 100% raw with these condiments, but it's pretty close.  I specifically listed the ingredients pictured in my photos, (Thank you, Jordan, for holding my creation!) but you can use any assortment of veggies you want--whatever makes you happy!  Fresh food is healthy and fun!  I hope you give this raw recipe a try!  Makes enough for two large wraps.

Veggie Burritos 

Organic Ingredients:
4 collard green leaves, whole
1/2 head of red leaf lettuce, chopped
1/2 large cucumber, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 head of red cabbage, chopped
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 avocado, sliced
1 tomato, diced
2 cups baby spinach
2 cups alfalfa sprouts
Vegenaise (optional)
mustard (optional)
dash of cayenne pepper (optional) 

Instructions:
Rinse and prepare all the vegetables.  Set aside.  Evenly cut off the stems and very bottoms of the collard greens.  Be sure to shave off any tough parts of the leaves' remaining center stems.  Note: the cut ends will be the top of the wrap and the rounded edges will be folded in, like a burrito, to keep the ingredients from falling out.  So when you begin building your wrap, be sure not to cover the leaves' curved edges so you can tuck them in at the end.  Now, place two collard greens onto the counter, one leaf overlapping the other a little bit.  If you want condiments, spread them on the leaves first.  It's finally time to layer in the veggies!  Pile them however you see fit, just remember not to cover the collard green's edges, excepting the cut edge.  When you are done building, tuck the bottom up first, then pull one side in, then the other.  You should have a cute little collard green wrap in your hands--a veggie burrito!  Set aside on a plate, folded edges facing down, and make the second serving.  Enjoy!  (If you have any left-over ingredients, throw them into a bowl together for a side salad at your next meal, or simply rinse off some more collard greens and keep wrapping!)

9 comments:

Leah Marie Fauver said...

Oh my goodness this looks lovely AND deliciious. I'll have to give it a whirl!

Vegan Valerie said...

Thanks, Leah! It IS delicious (even nutritious)! And not difficult at all! Let me know how it goes.

It's great to hear from you, Leah! Love you! :)

Raw Oz Gal said...

That looks delicious!! I'll bet it didn't last long after you snapped those pics!

Do you remember what sort of pate Minh used in her recipe?

Vegan Valerie said...

Hi, Raw Oz Gal!

Minh uses many different pates, it seems. The one on the DVD was made up of raisins, nuts or seeds, and some oil and salt, if I'm remembering correctly. But she has the "Sunflower Pate" instructions on her website:

www.ubraw.com/bonus.html

Cut and paste that address into your URL and it should take you right to the pate recipe. Let me know if it doesn't work. It should.

And yes my hubby and I ate the veggie burritos in a flash! They were yummy! I need to make them again! :)

Anonymous said...

Those look fantastic!

I tried to find your email but no luck. Thank you so much for all your comments on Veg is Sexy. If you'd like to do a Personal Story I would love to have you!

Vegan Valerie said...

Hi Veg Is Sexy!

Thanks so much for visiting me and my blogs! It's great to have you here! And I'm happy to see you are following my "Vittles" blog! Cool!

I'll email you, okay?! Then you can email me back if you'd like! :)

crunchyveganwifelife said...

This looks yummy! I am starting to eat more raw, so this a great easy recipe for me and my vegan tween, Kaiti!!! Thanks Valerie!!

Vegan Valerie said...

Hi VivaciousVegan!

Thanks for coming to visit me on my blog! I hope you do try the veggie wrap! It really tastes wonderful and it's even simple to build! Best of everything to you and your "vegan tween", Kaiti!

I'll blog you soon! :)

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

That looks very healthy!!