Thursday, March 4, 2010

Vanilla Oatmeal Pancake Roll-ups


After discovering that February was National Pancake Month now I've got pancakes on the brain!  How tasty!  I only wish it was something healthier...  Which reminds me...  My Jordan and I always laugh about this astute hotcakes observation made by comedian Jim Gaffigan:  "You're not having cake for breakfast--no, you're having cake with syrup for breakfast!"  I guess I must concede that consuming griddlecakes isn't really much different than having a slice of regular cake.  Sad, but true!  Well, even if they're not the most nutritious meal ever conceived, we still love to eat them at my house!  We just don't have them for breakfast!  :D  

This particular recipe inspiration comes courtesy of Chocolate-Covered Katie.  I've made it my own with a few adjustments here and there, but at its core, it's all Katie!  Contributing oatmeal to the batter is a fun twist.  And the final product is so decadent with the vanilla and almond extract added to the mix!  I like to smear nutty butter and drizzle pure maple syrup on the center of mine, but you can use whatever toppings you like best!  Don't forget to roll them up!  Very simple, very filling, and very delicious!  Makes ten large, thin "cakes."

Vanilla Oatmeal Pancake Roll-ups

Organic Ingredients:
2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
2/3 cup rolled-oats
1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1 cup soymilk, original or vanilla flavor
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp pure almond extract

Instructions:
In a large bowl, fold the flour, oats, and baking powder.  Next add the soymilk, oil, vanilla extract, and almond extract to the bowl.  Whisk well.  Warm your griddle to a low heat.  Drop batter onto it in whatever amount best suits your style.  If you want to roll-up your pancakes, the key is to spread the batter thinly; use your spoon or spatula to help.  Cook for approximately a minute, maybe less.  The thinner they are, the quicker they will congeal.  Flip.  Cook the other side for half the time as before.  Use up all the batter and... you're done.  Enjoy!

21 comments:

Val said...

Yummy!! I like your pretty plate :) Hope all is well Valerie!

Vegan Valerie said...

Thank you, Val! You are kind! :D

Marie-Jolie said...

Hello Valerie! It was lovely to receive your comment on my blog this morning. Yes, I am vegan and I did live in Salt Lake once upon a time, but now currently live in Nebraska. I still love Sage's Cafe, though, and visit whenever I'm in town. I also happen to LOVE Omar's Living Cuisine in Sugar House. Not sure if he's still up and running or not, but I literally crave his felafel bowl (raw and vegan!). Thank you for stopping by, and I hope to run across you again in cyberspace. :)

Vegan Valerie said...

Marie-Jolie! Hello!

I should look for that Omar's Living Cuisine place! I bet there is good food there! I don't know if I've ever had falafel before. But I'm game to try it! It must be delicious! Thanks for stopping by to see me! You take care! We should blog each other again! :D

PB and Jess said...

Yum, your pancake roll-ups look delicious too! Aren't you glad Katie got us cooking?

Looks like you're also a vivacious vegan! :)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Girl, there is no WAY I would even think of excluding you from the contest!!
(Don't worry, I haven't picked a winner yet... you're definitely in time! I entered you!)

Your pancakes look insanely deliciouso!!

Love,
Katie

Veg is Sexy said...

Looks yummy!

Elizabeth Jarrard said...

yum! these look delicious!! Thanks for stopping my website! isn't the blogging community just great?? you blog is fabulous and i look forward to checking it out more! have a wonderful day

Vegan Epicurean said...

Cake with syrup, LOL! That was cute. :-)

The pancakes look delicious!

Alicia

Kristen@Simply Savor said...

your pancake rollups look delicious! so glad you stopped by my blog because it led me to yours--cant wait to read more from you :)

Melissa said...

Oh yum! Cake with syrup for breakfast tomorrow!!

Lisa said...

You have a beautiful blog!! I love your recipes and will be trying some of them.

One thing I noticed as I looked over your blog is that you don't have an email set up in your profile. If you go to yahoo or gmail and get one for your blog, well, it's just awesome!! You can link it to your blog comments to come to your inbox and you can reply back- it allows for more conversation, I guess:)

Like I said your blog is beautiful and I really look forward to reading more of it!!

Tiffany said...

I love pancakes, and these look particularly mouth-watering! I think I need to make some soon.

Gabriela said...

Thanks for the great pancake recipe! I love that you don't need pancake mix. That Jim Gaffigan quote is too funny! Have a great Friday :)

Tess said...

Mmmm, I love nut butter and maple syrup together!

VivaciousVegan said...

WOW Valerie! You are really getting alot of followers!!! That is great!
Hope you are having a really happy day!!!
Hugs, Brandi

Raw Oz Gal said...

Oh these look divine! I think I'll make them for hubby. But what's grapeseed oil - I've never seen it sold on its own, only in hand creams etc. Will anything else substitute, since you use a small amount?

Keep those delicious pics coming!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) said...

Val these look amazing and thanks for the contest linkage :)
I love how these are vegan and use oats! :)

HiHoRosie said...

Um, hello! Those look tasty!

Vegan Valerie said...

Wow, everyone! Wow! What a collection of thoughtful, kind comments! Thank you!

Raw Oz Gal,

I am partial to grapeseed oil because it has a higher cooking point than many oils. It better retains it's healthful properties under high heat. But you can use canola, or olive, or any oil you want! Or non at all! Just be sure to use a non-stick spray on your griddle if you choose to forgo the oil!

I'm glad you asked this question, Oz Gal. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to write a reply. But I hope my clarification still comes in handy.

Take care! :) Love!

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

Nice breakfast :)