Friday, February 26, 2010

This Chocolate Bar Took Me Back In Time!


Last weekend, while perusing a certain Smith's grocery store isle that I probably shouldn't (the "healthy" vegan junk food one) this purty chocolate treat caught my eye: The "Theo" Organic Fair Trade Orange 70% Dark Chocolate Bar.  The wrapper was so attractive.  And it was on sale; I'd save a buck.  Well, I decided not to pass up the opportunity.  I'd give it a try! 


When I got home I happily unwrapped it.  It was a thin bar, sectioned width-wise into eight fat little servings.  It looked delicious!  I gingerly broke off the first eighth and took a bite...  

Have you ever tasted something which suddenly reminds you of a moment long, long ago--a type of mental snapshot?  Well, that's exactly what happened to me!  I was immediately transported back to a Christmas of my teenhood.  It must have been the year my little brother, Josh, and I acquired "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" for the N64.  That whole holiday week of school vacation, I idled away the hours playing that great game while munching on the treats I acquired in my Christmas stocking, most memorably, Goldfish cheddar crackers and a chocolate orange!...  

This Theo bar's smooth, sweet, chocolaty-citrusness was so light, yet powerful, that it keenly touched on a very fond and satisfying memory of fun, all while reminding me of that chocolate orange from so many years ago!  Savoring that bite, I experienced profound joy, simply by association! Now I'm probably biased in my review of this product because of all these warm fuzzies.  But what can I do?!  :) 

I really, really enjoyed The "Theo" Organic Fair Trade Orange 70% Dark Chocolate Bar!  I will definitely buy again!  It was a wonderful dessert, a very successful trial, if I may say so.  And of course, it's vegan!  I did taste another Theo flavor over the same weekend, Cherry and Almond. It was good, but it didn't excite me or capture my heart the same way the orange bar did.  But you can give them both a sampling yourself and see what you think.  Be warned, they are a little pricey, but that's what happens when you support a cause: Organic--Free Trade--Vegan.  I think the splurge is worth it...  Once in a while.  :D

6 comments:

Vegan Epicurean said...

I love chocolate and orange! Always a great flavor combination in my book. Thanks for the review, I will keep my eyes open for this.

have a great evening,
Alicia

Melissa said...

I've never seen Theo chocolate before. I'm going to have to look for it now since I only buy organic fair trade chocolate. Thanks for sharing!

Nikki said...

Yay, Theo! Made here in Seattle, a very cool company, a friend of mine used to be a chocolate maker there. So glad to see you can enjoy it in Utah :)

The Ordinary Vegetarian said...

Oh, I've had the orange one SO GOOD!

Maurie Kirschner said...

The chocolate of the place I call home (Seattle) and some of the best chocolate anywhere! I can add Theo bars to my local CSA - a dangerous and delightful little addition to my weekly box of organic produce. My favorite is the nib bar followed by the coffee bar followed by...

I don't have any in the house right now and that makes me very sad...

Your sweet comment on one of my food blog post recently made me happy, though - so it's all good!

Vegan Valerie said...

It sounds like everybody loves Theo Chocolate, or plans on loving it in the near future! :) It is fun to know that we are all enjoying the same delicacy, all over the country! Very cool!

(And thanks Averie, for the "Zelda" recognition! I didn't know if my old memories would mean anything to anybody. But you understood! Thanks! That makes me happy!)

:D